The jury is out!!
This is coolbert:
“I have done nothing seriously wrong!! I am just a small fry! I was just obeying orders! Why are you persecuting me?”
From the Chicago Tribune today:
“Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - - “The case against Salim Hamdan - - Osama bin Laden’s former driver - - goes to the jury Monday”
“Military jury weighs 1st Gitmo Verdict”
We wait, with baited breath, for the verdict to be rendered in the case of Salim Hamdan. The first Gitmo prisoner to be tried by military tribunal.
* "Accused of transporting weapons for Al Qaeda."
* "Swearing an oath of loyalty to bin Laden."
* "Helping him [bin Laden] escape U.S. retribution [by acting as a driver]"
It is alleged about Hamdan that:
* "Hamdan was captured at a roadblock in southern Afghanistan in November 2001 with two surface-to-air missiles [SA-7?] in the car"
* "He was a low-level employee paid $200 a month."
* "Hamdan was too 'primitive' [uneducated/unsophisticated] to be involved in terrorist plots.” [so says Khalid Sheik Mohammad]
Well, he was only a driver. Well, he was only transporting the weapons, not actually firing them. Well, he only did “help” bin Laden. Well, he was low-paid. Well, he was primitive, uneducated and unsophisticated.
None of that is material? HE HAS sworn allegiance to bin Laden and thereby condemns himself? Belongs to a terrorist organization whose stated aim is to kill 4 million Americans, 1 ½ million of them children! Is accused in front of the tribunal for giving material aid and support to Al Qaeda and bin Laden.
That Hamdan IS a small fry and HAS done nothing seriously wrong is not even a question here. Merely giving material aid and support to Al Qaeda, even of the most trivial nature, is enough to get you a long sentence.
Please recall the case of the German saboteurs in World War Two. Ruled unlawful enemy combatants, tried, found guilty, and executed, all within two weeks. EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD NOT COMMITTED ONE ACT OF SABOTAGE!!
Hell, Salim might get a relatively light sentence, say twenty years [that is normally considered to be a life sentence in most locales], and counting time already served at Gitmo, might be out of prison in three years or so!!?? Presumably he can get his GED and maybe even consider college courses if he is interested.
Now, in Saudi Arabia, the punishment would be!!??
Being flippant - - are we now??!!