This is coolbert:
Here are excerpts from an Israeli source - - a quick and dirty analysis of the conflict currently taking place between Russia and Georgia.
"The Russian-Georgian War: Implications for the Middle East"
By Ariel Cohen.
"Ariel Cohen, Ph.D., is Senior Research Fellow in Russian and Eurasian Studies and International Energy Security at The Heritage Foundation."
Thanks to the Institute for Contemporary Affairs.
15 August 2008.
Russian has now confirmed itself as a resurgent world-power to be reckoned with? This conflict between Russian Georgia has much wider ramifications? NOT confined to the dispute over Abkhazia and South Ossetia? Russia is now engaging in machinations, geo-political intrigue, schemes, and plots worthy of the Czarist era as practiced ever since the time of Ivan the Terrible?
"Moscow formulated far-reaching goals when it carefully prepared - over a period of at least two and a half years - for a land invasion of Georgia."
"U.S. intelligence-gathering and analysis on the Russian threat to Georgia failed. So did U.S. military assistance to Georgia, worth around $2 billion over the last 15 years"
"Tbilisi was stunned by the ferocity of the Russian response. It shouldn't have been, nor should Americans be surprised. The writing was on the wall, but Washington failed to read it, despite repeated warning from allied intelligence services and a massive presence of diplomats and military trainers on the ground."
* "Expelling Georgian troops and effectively terminating Georgian sovereignty in South Ossetia and Abkhazia."
* "Regime change" - bringing down President Mikheil Saakashvili and installing a more pro-Russian leadership in Tbilisi."
* "Preventing Georgia from joining NATO and sending a strong message to Ukraine that its insistence on NATO membership may lead to war and/or its dismemberment."
"Kill the Chicken to Scare the Monkey"
"Aggression against Georgia also sends a strong signal to Ukraine and to Europe"
Lessons from the War:
* "Watch Out for the Bear - and Other Beasts!" Russia is resurgent and very serious and very deadly. This current war is just the start. NOT a trifling matter confined to the Caucasus region but in addition a signal to the region and for that matter the rest of the world!
* "Strategic Self-Reliance." Israeli self-reliance that is. DO NOT depend upon promises from Washington. Depend upon yourself and your own "arms". DO NOT rely upon anyone else.
* "Intelligence Failure." Another severe intelligence failure for the U.S.?
* "Air Power Is Not Sufficient." Combined arms is a MUST - - using all assets as part of a coordinated plan.
* "Surprise and Speed of Operations Still Matter"
* "Do Not Cringe." - Be willing to inflict casualties and accept casualties on your own side as well.
* "Information and Psychological Warfare Is Paramount." There was a denial of service [DoS] cyber-warfare attack on Georgia just prior to and during combat operations. Similar as to what occurred to the Estonians last year?
A message is being sent to the United States, Europe, and the rest of the world. Russia is once again a player on the world stage and not to be taken for granted? A variety of means [to include on occasion the use of force!] are to be employed by the Russian in furtherance of "aims" on the international stage! A new "Cold War" has begun and the players are not even really sure that the curtain has lifted! Better wake up fast!