Thoughts on the military and military activities of a diverse nature. Free-ranging and eclectic.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Hands.


This is coolbert:

During his conquest and subjugation of Gaul, Julius Caesar was brutal and cruel when required [of course by the standards that existed and were expected at the time]. Unremittingly so against those that rebelled subsequent to the surrender of the Gallic main force under Vercingetorix.

Brutal treatment was dealt to those that rebelled against Caesar in the Gallic town of Uxellodunum [Roman name].

[from the chronicle of Julius himself]:

"I heard of the siege of Uxellodunum. I was somewhat concerned . . . if the siege became drawn out it could give the rest of Gaul a bad example: even a small group of rebels could withstand the Romans through nothing but force of conviction. Others could decide to follow their example . . . they had access to water - there was a spring behind the city wall . . . we dug mines and managed to cut off the source of the spring, depriving them of water completely. At this point they saw their cause was hopeless and they surrendered."

"Now at this point my leniency and mercy are not in question, as I have taken every chance to forgive men when I could have killed them. So no-one could take me to be cruel if I chose to punish some. At the same time I needed to make an example to the Gauls . . . So I ordered my men to cut off the hands of each man who had borne arms against me. The men's lives were spared, so their punishment might stand on display for longer."

"cut off the hands of each man who had borne arms against me"

YES, CUT OFF THE HANDS. BOTH HANDS. "OF ONLY THOSE THAT HAD BORNE ARMS AGAINST ME"??!! SPARE THE REST??!! EXAMPLES WERE MADE!! SURVIVORS FOR THE REST TO SEE AND BEHOLD!!

This of course is around 50 B.C. Over 2000 years ago now.

Cutting off of the hands. A cruel and barbaric punishment in wartime as practiced AT THE TIME!!

AND PRACTICED TODAY TOO!!

Two thousand years later, such cruelty is still going on. Seemingly used with relish against the perpetrators. But in an even MORE cruel fashion than as was done by Caesar.

Barbarity of a nature as seen in MODERN warfare. In the nation of Sierra Leone [west Africa]. Barbarity practiced by the RUF [Revolutionary United Forces]. Rebels who attempt by amputations to coerce recalcitrants into supporting them. Intimidate everyone who might even THINK of opposing them.

A barbaric and cruel practice PERPETRATED MOSTLY AGAINST CHILDREN!!!!!

http://hrw.org/english/docs/1999/05/17/sierra912.htm

"I begged them not to kill me so they cut off both of my hands"

"they cut off both my hands. First they cut off my right hand with a rusty axe I begged them to leave my other hand because I'm left handed, but they cut it anyway."

"one of three people in one family whose two hands were all amputated by an axe"

http://www.un.org/ecosocdev/geninfo/afrec/vol12no4/sierral.htm

"Sheku, 17, lost both hands to 'rebels' machetes during an attack on his village. After they cut off his hands, he begged the rebels to kill him, but they refused."

Keep in mind that most people that live in that society and culture exist through HARD, MANUAL, PHYSICAL LABOR. If you cannot contribute in a physical way to your society, you are not worthy and wanted. Are a severe burden!!

At least Caesar chose only those persons "each man who had borne arms against me".

The RUF selects CHILDREN!!

Evil people. Evil, evil people. Join the Ayatollah in hell!!

coolbert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home