Thoughts on the military and military activities of a diverse nature. Free-ranging and eclectic.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

This is coolbert: While doing background research for a blog entry, I came across this interesting tidbit. Astounded me. And still does. As late as the 1920's, Army officers did not vote. Either by regulations or by voluntary choice, they did not vote. I found this while reading an interview of H. Norman Schwarzkopf concerning his father. Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf, the father of H. Norman [H stands for only the initial and nothing else], was chosen for the position of Chief of New Jersey State Police because he had no party affiliation. He was around twenty six years old at the time and had not, as evidently all other Army officers had not, ever voted!!!

"When my dad came back and applied for the job, they said, "What are your credentials?" "I'm a West Point graduate. I've had this experience in the military, and I'm a good organizer..." and that sort of thing. And they said, "What are your politics?" And he said, "I don't have any. I've never voted in an election in my life." In those days, Army officers didn't vote. The commander in chief was the commander in chief, and therefore it wasn't right to vote for a political party. So Army officers didn't vote at all."

Well, this is strange. Yes, the commander in chief is commander in chief. But we have and have had in this country a secret ballot for some time. I can understand that it is necessary that the military officers of this country do have to be apolitical on the job and obey the commands and orders of the commander in chief. But surely it could have been reasoned that one could obey and comply with orders and still cast a secret ballot, and keep their political affiliation private to themselves. Much as is done now.

Hard to see where people were coming from on this one.

coolbert.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home