Thoughts on the military and military activities of a diverse nature. Free-ranging and eclectic.

Wednesday, April 28, 2004


This is coolbert: My apologies to Pat Tillman.

In a previous post some time ago, I had discussed the subject of jock elite military units.

Said that the idea would not fly.

For a variety of reasons.

Well, Pat Tillman proved that elite athletes can join the military and serve in elite units with heroism and distinction.

But Pat Tillman is such a great exception to the rule.

How so?

Well, off the top of my head, I can recall only one other athlete of repute that served the military in combat during my time. That was Rocky Bleier of the 1970's Pittsburgh Steelers. Was in Vietnam and played with shrapnel in his body [Curt Gowdy was fond of mentioning this fact over and over]. But no others can I think of.

Now, in another blog published on the internet, just a short time ago, the comment was made asking, "why does someone who is worth something have to go to do what someone who is worthless will not do?" [I am paraphrasing here]. Well, ask yourself this? If someone worth something, like Pat Tillman, does not go and do it, who else can and will?

coolbert.